Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays: lucky #21

Well hello November! Can you believe we are just 2 1/2 weeks away from Thanksgiving?!? I for one am in total shock at the rapid rate with which this year is coming to a close. I started Tasty Tuesdays back in June of this year and it seems like yesterday. What a whirlwind!

In honor of the month of Thanksgiving, I have decided to dedicate the next three installments of Tasty Tuesdays to some of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes. This is by no means an all-inclusive list, but rather just a few of my faves that I've been making for several years now.

Today's recipe is for a homemade cranberry sauce that I first made four years ago. Had I known how ridiculously easy it was to make your own cranberry sauce, I would have banned the canned version a long time ago. This is a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens and if you have never made your own cranberry sauce, this is your year to change that.

Ginger Lime Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
1/2 C sugar (I use Splenda)
1/2 C pure maple syrup
1/2 C water
1 1/2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
2 T lime juice
1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries (I always use fresh)
1 tsp minced fresh ginger (I don't use fresh)

1. In a saucepan, stir together sugar, maple syrup, water, lime peel, and lime juice. Bring to boiling and reduce heat.

2. Simmer, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.

3. Stir in cranberries and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Stir in ginger. Simmer, uncovered, about 6 minutes more or until berries have popped and mixture starts to thicken, stirring occasionally. Cool.

I always make this a day or 2 in advance because it holds up beautifully in the fridge for several days. I love recipes like this because it allows me to cross something off my cooking/baking to-do list.

No comments: