Wednesday, November 25, 2009

baby's just a little bit tired of the city...

Billboards and B.S. got her down. Seems like you need a little Hill Country. Little back roads drivin'. Little bit of that 'ole top down.

It's that time again: time for me to head south on 35 for Turkey Day with my favorite Austin family. I like to call it my home away from home, and in all honesty, it truly feels that way. I know their kitchen like the back of my hand and have probably cooked as many meals there as I have at my parent's home. There is something so welcoming about my aunt and uncle's house and I love pulling into their driveway and walking into the front door. It just feels right, if that makes sense.

We will actually be spending Thanksgiving with my cousin's side of the family tomorrow. (How gorgeous is that table setting?)
But no worries my friends, our Fousin Thanksgiving Throwdown 2009 will be taking place on Saturday. It is then we will be able to pull out all the culinary stops and showcase our cooking/baking prowess. Granted, it is not technically taking place on the actual holiday, but we're not letting a little thing like a calendar get in our way. It promises to be an epic feast, no doubt, and I'm anxious to get in the kitchen and "make some bad decisions together" (Fred Claus anyone?).

Just to give you a preview to whet your appetite, our tentative menu includes:

Turkey (duh, but we won't be handling the bird. It's not our bag)
Pumpkin soup
Stuffed mushrooms
Savory bread dressing with pears
Glazed carrots
Sweet potato souffle
Garlic mashed potatoes
Corn pudding
Ginger-lime cranberry sauce
Green beans w/caramelized onion
Sweet potato pie
Pumpkin cookies
Pumpkin pecan pie
Plum-gingerbread upside down cake

I am jazzed out of my mind to get in the kitchen with two of my most favorite cooks. I have visions of dance parties, impromptu sing-alongs and a whole lot of sauteing, mixing, blending, stirring and TASTING!

If I had to pick a favorite dish, it would probably be the dressing because I only eat it on Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I'm actually also really looking forward to the actual turkey. It's been too long....

Reader question: what is your favorite dish at Thanksgiving (i.e. the one you go back for seconds and thirds even though you're stuffed to the brim)?

No comments: