Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays: the big 2-0

As promised, today's Tasty Tuesday recipe comes straight off the menu of Michelle's Thirty, Flirty and Thriving Soiree.

Since the birthday girl is a connoisseur of all things chicken salad (as in she gets a chicken salad sandwich pretty much any chance she can), I knew I wanted to include a variation to serve at her party. I found a Cooking Light recipe that piqued my interest, and I made a few of my own tweaks along the way.

Curried Chicken Salad on raisin toast

Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts
1/4 C finely chopped celery
1 medium-sized honeycrisp apple, chopped
2 T raisins
2 T craisins
1/4 C mayo
1 T curry powder
1 T dijon mustard
2 t water
salt
pepper
loaf of raisin bread

1. Season chicken breasts with garlic salt and pepper and bake off in the oven.

2. Allow chicken to cool and chop into bite-sized pieces.

3. Combine mayo, curry, dijon, water, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to coat.

4. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours to allow flavors to marry.

When you are ready to serve, lightly toast each slice of the raisin bread and top with a heaping spoonful of the chicken salad. Serve immediately.

Since I adore mixing sweet and savory flavors, I thought the raisin bread was the perfect vehicle for serving the chicken salad. I purchased my loaf in the bakery section of Walmart. Please note I used plain raisin bread, not cinnamon swirl raisin bread.

*Another big Tasty Tuesday shout-out to my dear fousin China who made my easy peasy pumpkin soup a couple weeks back. She couldn't believe how "creamy the soup came out even though there is no cream in it." I concur wholeheartedly and I'm once again tickled pink that someone tried a Tasty Tuesday recipe. You go Glen Coco!

Reader question: What has been your favorite Tasty Tuesday recipe so far?

No comments: