Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays: 1st edition

So at the risk of starting something that I potentially will never be able to follow through on, I'm introducing a new segment into my blog. I shall call it "Tasty Tuesdays" and it will feature a recipe I have not only used, but also really enjoy and find others to enjoy as well.

Please note that I'm not pretending these recipes are gourmet. I'm not pretending these are 100% my original recipes. This is not meant to be some sort of charade that implies I cook every day or that I'm some sort of authority you should take culinary advice from. It is simply one of the ways I will attempt to share my "abundant life" with you. Food is meant for fuel, but it is also meant for enjoyment. Since this is the case, why don't we prepare things that serve as proper fuel and are quite tasty at the same time? This is the reasoning behind "Tasty Tuesdays."

The following recipe is my take on the ever-popular spinach dip. (I figured I'd start with something super-easy and sure to please a crowd.) It is a very common recipe, but I have (significantly) decreased the amount of mayo and sour cream. After all, the recipe is called spinach dip, not mayo dip. Therefore, I feel spinach should be the star, not the sidekick. I've also added artichoke hearts, which are the bee knees in my opinion. I hope you feel the same way.

So...ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, I give you my very first installment of "Tasty Tuesdays." Please try to contain your excitement.

Rachel's rockin' spinach dip
1 package of frozen chopped spinach
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 can quartered artichoke hearts
1/2 c. Kraft* mayo (made with olive oil)
1/2 c. light sour cream
1 pkg. Knorr* vegetable soup mix

(* indicates corporate trademark)

1. Defrost frozen spinach and pat dry with paper towels (try to squeeze out excess liquid).
2. Drain and chop water chestnuts and artichoke hearts. (A rough chop will do.)
3. Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and chill until ready to serve.

here's a shot of the finished product

I'm a huge fun of serving this with sliced cucumber, red pepper, broccoli and pita chips. Holy yum!!! I hope you whip this up to enjoy with family and friends.

No comments: