Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: the big 3-0

Greetings blogland and welcome to your weekly edition of Tasty Tuesdays! Today marks the thirtieth installment, so I think that is cause for celebration, no?

Today's recipe might not be deemed culinary magic, but more of a technique really. Once again, I'm featuring my beloved sweet potato and highlighting another way to enjoy this orange beauty by means of simple preparation.

I'm sure at some point you have had the pleasure of sinking your teeth into some hot, slightly sweet and salty sweet potato fries. I would venture to say you might have even enjoyed them more than your standard french fries, but don't worry, your secret is safe with me. Since I adore sweet potatoes, I am not ashamed to say I much prefer sweet potato fries over french fries and since I like them so much, why not prepare them at home so I can snack on them whenever my heart desires?

So, as you may have guessed, today's recipe is for oven-baked sweet potato fries. I'm sure the die-hard deep-fryer fanatics will turn their noses up at the thought, but give them a try and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients:
3-4 large sweet potatoes
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Cut your sweet potatoes into thin, 2-inch fries and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.

3. Spread the fries out into a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray or lined with non-stick foil.

4. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until slightly crispy on the edges.

You can serve these with ketchup, honey mustard, sweet chili sauce or for an indulgent dip, melt some butter and brown sugar together. These are a great snack, party food or accompaniment to burgers, hot dogs, barbeque or pretty much anything else in my opinion.

Enjoy and have a Tasty Tuesday!

No comments: