Sunday, October 11, 2009

it's her party, and she'll cry if she wants to.

Last weekend, we celebrated Haylee's 3rd birthday with a Dora-themed fiesta extravaganza.







Michelle did a bang-up job planning the big bash and left no detail untouched. From the Dora-emblazoned cake to the massive spread of Mexican inspired food to the party favors to the festive pinata, the party was a hit from start to finish.





The gang was all there with all sets of grandparents present and some of the birthday girl's best friends. She was beyond thrilled to have so many of her favorite people in the same room and let out a squeal every time someone new came to the door.







The kids played outside in the mini bounce house and on the swingset, but perhaps the highlight was the Dora-shaped pinata. It is quite a marvel to watch three and four-year-olds take a wack at Dora's face. Haylee was a bit timid at first, but once she observed some pinata pros, she was reluctant to give anyone else a turn. In fact, she proceeded to have a full-on meltdown every time one of her friends was given the opportunity to take a swing. My competitive nature must be rubbing off on her.







The guest of honor's spirits were quickly lifted with the birthday song and her chance to blow out the candles on her Dora cake. She had been asking for a Dora cake for at least a month prior to her birthday and when she finally got the chance to dig in, she was in cake heaven. I can't say I blame her. A good cake is easily the highlight of every party.







As if that weren't enough, the fun didn't stop there. The birthday girl had a pile of presents to unwrap, and received enough dress-up costumes to last her a lifetime. There was Minnie Mouse, Cinderella, fairy wings out the yin yang and a myriad of princess acoutrements to delight even the prissiest of girls.







All in all, it was the perfect way to bring in a new year in my precious niece's life. I know I've said it before, but I can't imagine loving someone as much as I love my little Pearl. She can be a total toot, but when she asks for a "giant hug," my heart melts completely and I want to give her the world. So here's to an awesome 3rd year in your life. I can't wait to be a part of your story!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hay-hay's birthday party at "party central" was bomb-diggidy! And what a haul she made - I don't think I have ever seen such an extensive costume wardrobe in a private home in my life! It was, indeed, her party and she did cry, I suppose, because she wanted to...All in all, a spectacular event, appropriate for such an auspicious occassion! The only negative was that you did not ry my amazing corn dip. I have a fresh batch just made, but I can't guarantee there will be any left come Sunday...

RL said...

i only wish i had half of the dress-up clothes growing up that haylee has...i guess i just didn't make friends with the right kids (i.e. the ones who brought awesome presents to your birthday parties).