Thursday, October 22, 2009

an EPIC celebration

Today is a very special day in history. In fact, 30 years ago today marked one of the most influential days of my life. Granted, I was not born (or even a glimmer in my parents' eyes), but what occurred on that day would forever change my life.

On October 22, 1979, Michelle Renee Lawrence was born. Rumor has it my dad wanted to name her Aubrey, which we always detested growing up. (No offense if this happens to be your name or if you wish to name one of your children Aubrey. I'm actually quite fine with the name these days.) Anyway, Michelle was quite a tough baby given to fits of crying which could only be soothed by LONG car rides...bless my parents. It's quite apparent that even from birth, she simply did not wish to go to bed. Even then, I suppose she was afraid of missing out on something.



Three years later, I came along and we've been nearly inseparable ever since. I attribute this to the fact that Michelle is not your typical big sister. While most find their little sisters annoying, it was (and is) quite the opposite in our relationship. From day one, she wanted me around and this continued throughout grade school, high school and into the present. She always let me hang out with her and her friends...and even her boyfriends.



While we did have our fair share of fights and we definitely had to "divide" the backseat up using invisible boundary lines during long road trips, we still sustained a very unique relationship. I can't imagine growing up without doing gymnastics with her, watching TGIF with her on Friday nights, opening presents with her on Christmas morning, surviving moves across country during high school, attending countless concerts together and basically every other life happening. I cannot imagine "doing life" without her, my best friend.

She has always been my #1 fan despite my less than gracious attitude towards her at times. Her love is unconditional and her heart is bigger than Texas. God has graced her with the uncanny ability to extend grace when others remain bitter. She is a true, loyal and amazing friend even when particular people do not return the sentiment. She is a faithful wife and a selfless mother. Her girls are beyond blessed to be able to call her "Mommy." She loves my parents far better than I do and the patience she demonstrates is overwhelming. I could go on for days, but I shall exercise restrain.

More than anything though, Michelle loves life. Her appetite for "good times" is insatiable. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, even as an infant, she refused to go to the bed. This has not changed. She still has the mindset that she will miss something if she goes to sleep, so she consistently wills herself to stay awake as long as possible. As much as I give her a hard time about this, I really love this about her and find it quite endearing. I mean, she wants to really live life. How could I blame her? She was the one who was always up for the concert, the night out on the town, the margarita at happy hour, the impromptu dance party, the late showing of a movie, the icecream at Marble Slab and the list goes on. Granted, things are a touch different with the babies, but I know in her heart, she's still that girl.

So HAPPY, HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!!!



You are hands-down one of the greatest blessings in my life. Even though I may not always show it, you mean the world to me. I pray God would rain down peace, love, happiness and joy that's overflowing in this new year in your life. And here's to being "thirty, flirty and thriving." Cheers to the next 30 years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am without words...I L-O-V-E this, and I love you! You are the BEST sister EVER!!! xoxoxoxo