Tuesday, September 18, 2012

TDOC: sweet sixteen and seventeen

So...thirty days is a bit of a challenge. I don't think I'm just now realizing this, but I thought I would go ahead and make the formal announcement. Nevertheless, I press on toward the goal and won't back down now. I'm too far in, and to quit now would just be lazy.

Day 16

The celebration for the 16th day of my birthday month took the form of a planning party, re: ITALIA. Sarah gave me my birthday present early and it was really the best and most timely gift possible. She gave me walking maps of Roma and Firenze. I was so excited to open this early b-day gift, and we put those puppies to good use post haste.

Mindi and Christy joined us on Sunday afternoon to create a framework for our itinerary. We spread everything out on the dining table and got to work starring and highlighting the main points on each map. I must admit I felt tres unprepared and less than knowledgeable about the landscape of these two cities. C'est la vie, I suppose, because knowledgeable or not, I will be stepping foot on Italian soil in ~12 days.

(Sadly, I have no pictures to document, but just picture giant maps covering the expanse of a dining room table.)

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God. And the piece of Christ which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Day 17

Since I did not have anything celebratory on the agenda for day numero 17, I asked Michelle if they were up for a visit and thought some time with the girls would be a great way to celebrate. Now, I know I celebrated with them last week, but at this point, my creativity isn't at an all-time high, and who can blame me for wanting to visit these crazy kids.


Being with them (and my sister, of course) was definitely the highlight of my day and I'm so glad I used TDOC as an excuse for a Monday night visit. In fact, I think Haylee somehow subconsciously knew that I could use some special birthday affirmation as she randomly told me that, and I quote, I was the "best aunt in the universe." I don't know about you, but that not only made my day, but it was about all I needed to make my birthday month. Thank you, Lord, for giving me the privilege to be these sweet girls' aunt. I am forever grateful.


"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification, according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."
Ephesians 4:29

No comments: