Sunday, September 9, 2012

TDOC: day 7 & 8

Yikes, I am behind a couple days, but rest assured, this does not mean I have been neglecting to find ways to celebrate each day. As today is a Sunday and I typically have a "no computer" policy on the weekend, I will keep this short and very sweet, but not cloyingly so.

Day 7

The 7th day of celebration (Friday) was done in the form of sweet treats. I know, I know. This is quickly becoming a redundant theme, but hey, if you can't have treats on your birthday month, when can you? (Don't answer that.)

Be that as it may, I treated myself to a warm peanut butter cookie from "Tiff's Treats" and a mini red velvet bundtlet (definitely made that word up) from "Nothing Bundt Cakes." How great is that name? Both were delish and both were worthy of a mini celebration. However, I must give props were they are due, so props go out to the bundt cake. As cake WITH frosting (very important) is my favorite dessert, it was really no contest. Put cream cheese frosting on a flip-flop and I'm sold.


"Strength and dignity are her clothing, AND she smiles at the future."
Proverbs 31:25

(Editor's note: this has become one of my favorite verses this year and I think it ties in perfectly to this them as I look to turn an age that has made me quite uncomfortable in the past. The Bible calls me to not be apprehensive, but rather, to look expectantly towards the future with a peaceful smile. I most likely didn't articulate it well, but suffice it to say, I LOVE the simplicity of this verse.)

Day 8

For a different spin on things, I have been trying to think of alternative ways to "celebrate" without blatantly indulging myself. There will be more of this to come, but yesterday's celebration was along these lines. I decided to celebrate by serving at the North Texas Food Bank. If you have ever heard me talk about this organization, you know this was a somewhat self-indulgent act as I happen to love serving at NTFB. The warehouse is super organized and packing the boxes of meals is really quite fun. The time flies by and at the end of our shift, we get to know how many meals our boxes will supply. Win-win-win.

Our task yesterday was packing "nutritious meal" boxes, "breakfast" boxes, and "snack" boxes. Let me tell you. Those snack boxes were legit and comprised of every thing a kid could ever want (that their mom would never let them have). Of course, families get the majority of "nutritious meal" boxes and just a small portion of a snack box, so it balances out. At the end of our time, we provided over 9,000 meals!

For those of you that live around the area, I highly recommend serving at the food bank and heck, let me know if you are interested and you can come with me.


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: