Monday, December 14, 2009

you're here to have a good time & you're not gonna apologize for it.

I'm a touch behind on my posts, but in my defense, I was feeling a tad under the weather towards the end of last week. I had intended to get this post up in a more timely fashion, but it didn't happen. Sue me. (actually, please don't. funds are tight.)

The title of the post comes from Fred Claus (if you haven't seen it, go rent it today) which I watched probably three times over Thanksgiving. Needless to say, after repeating this line more than a dozen times with the fousins, it was absolutely necessary to use it in a post detailing Christina's birthday celebration.

The day started in a most festive way as I met my little China doll at the Galleria where we partook in a little shopping action and viewed the ice skating "spectacular" complete with a back-flipping Santa who donned skates equipped with sparklers. Impressive.



Of course, twas necessary to snap a few photos with the resplendent tree in the background.





Once we had received our fill of Christmas merriment (gotta love that Galleria parking garage in December), it was off to Elisa's humble abode for a very fousin birthday dinner. Naturally, it would be of utmost importance for us to get lost several times and run into a major detour snafu, but as I always say, all's well that ends well.


The lovely Michelle was able to join us for the evening's festivities (after having her own fun with the detour).


Elisa and I whipped up China's birthday dinner in the flashiest of flashes. On the night's menu was a spring salad with pear, cranberries and feta, baked shrimp with feta, tomatoes and artichokes and warm, buttery beer bread. We also enjoyed a lovely pour of wine with our meal.





Once we stuffed our bellies full of the delicious goodness, it was time for a little wine sampling. The birthday girl and I did our own informal wine tasting, but we did manage to share with some of the other guests. Gosh, we're generous. We had a Smoking Loon cab, a Rex Goliath merlot and a pinot grigio (?)...eesh, I don't remember.




And what's a fousin celebration without a little bubbly? I think we might single-handedly be supporting the Andre brand. We are just that classy.



Next on the agenda was blowing out the candles on her red velvet birthday cake with cream cheese frosting (a la moi) and a little shot of some dangerous liquor. For the life of me, I cannot recall what it was but I think it came in a green bottle? The smell alone knocked me off my feet, so I did not partake.




The night ensued with a sampling of chocolates, lively conversation and overall good times. It was a perfect night in my book and I hope the birthday girl had an equally delightful time.




I'm so glad I was able to celebrate Christina's life for the 2nd year in a row and I look forward to toasting many more birthday celebrations with her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Chistina! Did I detect a bottle of the Carlo Rossi on Elisa's kitcen table? I'm tellin' ya, it's not one bit bad for an everyday wine - quite palatable, as a matter of fact.