Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays: #12

"This is bananas...and bananas are GOOD!" (name the Food Network host)

Today's recipe comes to you hot of the press, as in I prepared it for my family just last night (a mere 14 hours ago). So far, I'm two for two on this one, which I felt was consistent enough to qualify it for a Tasty Tuesday post. It is also fresh in my mind, and requires very few ingredients or skill. It is precisely these characteristics that make it a prime candidate for a Tasty Tuesday recipe in that it adheres to my food/recipe philosophy: short ingredient list, no-fuss prep and quick cook time.

My first go at this recipe took place at the lake house a few weeks ago when I prepared it for my uncle, cousins and Trishey. Unfortunately, no one was present in the kitchen to witness my flaming skillet, so the magic was lost on me. If there are no witnesses, it's kind of like it never happened. And while the end result was a tasty treat, I think attempt numero dos could be deemed more of a success overall.

So, I could chitchat all day long, but you came for a recipe and I shall provide. Your Tasty Tuesday recipe is Bananas Foster.

Ingredients:

2 large ripe bananas, peeled and sliced on a diagonal
1/2 stick butter
1/4-1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C dark rum

1. Melt butter in a medium non-stick skillet.

2. Stir in brown sugar.

3. Add bananas and saute for a few minutes.

4. Pour in rum and ignite skillet. *Use a long handle lighter, not a match. Stand as far back as possible. Safety first!

5. Allow flame to extinguish on its own and serve mixture over vanilla ice cream.

As I stated before, it is best to do this in the presence of a crowd as the flame is fairly impressive (unless you're my family and apparently, it takes a lot to blow their skirt up). I would also recommend this as a showy end to a meal prepared for a date. It's so simple to prepare, but it makes you look like a gourmet chef who really knows your way around the kitchen.

P.S. I got crazy yesterday and tried the highly touted pumpkin spice latte. The blog world has been buzzing about this fall treat, but sadly, yesterday's splurge will be my last. I simply do not care for lattes in the least. They are not coffee, and truth be told, I am a coffe (espresso) girl through and through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love flaming pans! As long as it is intentional...your Bananas Foster was an exquisite treat that I shall not soon forget. Thank you for the special, top-shelf culinary delight - you are the best! I can't wait until the next adventure...