Friday, October 1, 2010

an even better birthday song.

I so wanted to get this post up on my actual birthday, but alas, my attempts were foiled by birthday meals, treats and other celebratory diversions. While I love the actual birthday song and never tire of hearing it sung or singing it myself (in various off-key versions), I came across in even better birthday song, a psalm, if you will.

The following is my birthday psalm, as it is Psalm 30 (in case the connection's not entirely, if not painfully obvious, my birthday was yesterday, September 30th). I felt directed to read it the day before my birthday and truly feel it is the psalm for this year in my life and present circumstances.

Psalm 30
A psalm. A song. For the dedication of the temple. Of David.

1 I will exalt you, O LORD,
for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help
and you healed me.

3 O LORD, you brought me up from the grave;
you spared me from going down into the pit.

4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his;
praise his holy name.

5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.


6 When I felt secure, I said,
"I will never be shaken."

7 O LORD, when you favored me,
you made my mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
I was dismayed.

8 To you, O LORD, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy:

9 "What gain is there in my destruction,
in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?

10 Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
O LORD, be my help."

11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

And so, as I celebrate the life Christ has given me, I will endeavor with every fiber of my being to "give thanks (to Him) forever." I give thanks to Him for every trial, tribulation, disappointment, struggle and weakness, for when I am weak, He is made strong. His grace is sufficient for me and He has the power to redeem even the darkest night.

I give thanks to Him for His incarnate love which has been shown to me by my precious family (specifically my sister, parents, dear fousins, aunt and uncle), community and loyal, steadfast friends.

I give thanks to Him for the place I am in my life, knowing I am right where I need to be and that absolutely nothing catches Him off-guard or takes Him by surprise.

I give thanks to Him for every breath I take because it means He has purposed me to live another day to serve His kingdom.

I give thanks to Him for His promise that the remainder of my time here on this earth and all my subsequent birthdays can be abundant. (John 10:10)

No comments: