Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: #44

Bonjour and welcome to your weekly edition of Tasty Tuesdays. I trust you are on the edge of your seats waiting in anxious anticipation of what promises to be another delicious dish, so let's get down to brass tax, shall we?

This recipe is definitely inspired from my days as a youngster. Apparently, there was a time when I would absolutely, positively only eat toast, peanut butter and bananas-period. In all honesty, things could have been far worse as I was getting protein, carbs and a serving of fruit. I think, nay I know, I had the right idea because there are few flavor combos better than that of peanut butter and bananas. I challenge anyone to contest...

Anyway, this is my spin on what was my favorite meal some 23 years ago. (Yikes! Did I just totally expose my age?) I hope you will whip this up for the toddler in your life or just someone who is still a kid at heart...or heck, just someone who enjoys an indulgent breakfast treat.

PB&B French Toast

Ingredients:
2 slices of white bread
1 medium banana, sliced in half lengthwise
1 T butter
1 T brown sugar
1 egg
splash milk
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t vanilla
1 T sugar
2-3 T peanut butter
powdered sugar for sprinkling

1. Melt a tablespoon of butter and brown sugar in a skillet over medium heat. Add banana and caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside.

2. Whisk together egg, milk, baking powder, vanilla and sugar. Dip each piece of bread in egg wash and grill in the skillet until golden brown. Remove from skillet to a plate.

3. Spread a generous coating of peanut butter on both pieces of french toast. Add grilled bananas to one piece and top with the other. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with a side of syrup.

I recommend serving this with a strong cup of coffee and maybe an ice cold glass of milk (for nostalgic purposes, of course).

Until we meet again, have a Tasty Tuesday!

No comments: