Monday, February 22, 2010

the three b's

Baking.

Bridal shower.

Brunch.

I like a theme, so it only makes sense I would try to find a link amongst my weekend activities. This weekend featured all things "B." It begs the question: am I trying to channel a Sesame Street special? I don't know, but it probably doesn't help I've been watching a whole lot of children's programming lately. I digress...but what's new...

Anyway, I had two baking tasks to be completed on Friday. First, I was honored to be commissioned to make the cake for Sunni's bridal shower. Meagan had requested my amaretto cake with cream cheese icing. She also asked for Sunni's colors to be incorporated, so I added a purple border and used green for the H monogram. Mixing colors can be a rather tricky undertaking, but I suppose practice makes perfect?




Next on the baking agenda were cupcakes for Miss Haylee Grace. Since I was unable to deliver Valentine's treats to Pearl last weekend, I promised in her Valentine's card I would bring her cupcakes the next time I saw her. Since I'm a girl of my word, I whipped up some chocolate chip, peanut butter cup cupcakes with peanut butter mousse icing and a chocolate peanut butter filling.


After all that baking, it was time for a little fun, so I loaded up the cake for Sunni's bridal shower and headed to Palio's. The hosts did a great job with the location, food, theme and game. The Crate and Barrel gift boxes were bountiful, the company was delightful and the cake received rave reviews (not to toot my own horn or anything), so it was a successful shower all around.






Finally, no weekend can really be complete (in my mind) without a leisurely brunch enjoyed amongst friends and/or family. I put together a sweet and savory spread for my sister and I to feast upon whilst sipping mimosas. In between dance breaks and copious amounts of coffee, I prepared a broccoli quiche with goat cheese and an oven-puffed pancake. Michelle took care of the fruit and we had ourselves a sumptuous spread. It should be duly noted I went back for thirds...on both the food and the mimosas.








So there you have it, the complete rundown of my weekend featuring the three b's. I hope your respite from the workweek was equally sublime.

No comments: