Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: #34 (the love edition)

Yes, I did refer to this post as the love edition, but feel free to exchange it for the "lonely hearts convention" a la The Office, if you so choose.

I must say, no matter what my romantic situation has been throughout the years, I have always viewed Valentine's Day with a warm regard. Growing up, my mom made it such a special occasion for my sister and me. She would decorate the dining room table with a red tablecloth and sparkly heart confetti. There were balloons, cookies, conversation hearts, chocolates and Valentine's cards. I absolutely loved it!


And who could forget the Valentine's mailboxes we would make in elementary school. It was so fun to deliver Valentine's cards to everyone in the class and then open my mailbox and read all the valentines I had received. And talk about a plethora of candy and other yummy treats. I was in heaven.

But, in the event that you have grown up and do have a valentine you want to shower with love and adoration, I can think of no better gift than to whip them up a homemade meal made with love (and your two hands of course). I don't think there is a better way to show someone how much you care about them and I'm sure (after you make the following recipe) they will agree.

Today's recipe is sure to offer a sweet ending to whatever meal you decide to make. Or, perhaps you are not up for preparing an entire meal. That is fine. Why don't you go out for a nice meal and then prepare this decadent cake at home and toast your love with a bubbly glass of champagne? Sounds pretty perfect if you ask me.

But, I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself, so let's get down to business. What I love about this recipe is the "wow factor." It is so easy to prepare, but the presentation suggests you are a trained culinary pastry chef. It will most certainly, at the very least, impress your dinner date.

The original recipe comes from Kraft Foods, but I actually half it to make 2 small cakes. The cake is incredibly rich, so you could even prepare the two cakes and keep one in the fridge for another time. Then, you can be super romantic and share the dessert with your funny valentine.

Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes

Ingredients:
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/2 stick butter
1/2 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
3 T. flour

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter two ramekins and place on a baking sheet.

2. Place butter and chocolate in a small bowl and microwave for 45 seconds-1 minute. Stir with a whire whisk until blended and add powdered sugar.

3. Whisk in the egg and egg yolk until combined. Stir in flour and mix thoroughly.

4. Pour the batter into the ramekins and bake 13-14 minutes. Run a knife around edges and invert onto serving plates.



If you're feeling extra indulgent, go ahead and top the oozing mountain of warm chocolate lava with a little scoop of premium vanilla ice cream. Holy yum!

So a very Happy Heart's Day to all my readers, and until next week, have a Tasty Tuesday and a delightfully, delicious Valentine's Day. Cheers!

No comments: