Monday, August 31, 2009

blowin' through the jasmine in my mind

Looks like somebody has a wicked case of the Mondays...ME! Traffic was bananas, parking was no bueno, I spilled my entire mug of coffee all over the office kitchen AND I gave a degree counselor an appointment that was not theirs. Whoops-a-daisies.

Might it be possible we could fast forward to Friday, por favor? No?

Be that as it may, instead of posting my customary weekend wrap-up, I would fancy switching things up a bit. I'm certain I don't need to inform you today is the last day of August. Do you know the catastrophic implications of this? It means my beloved season of summer is technically over, effective tomorrow. I know, I know. Summer in Texas usually stretches through September (and into October for that matter), but the traditional three months of summer are bidding us adieu and I am hanging on to that summer breeze with a death grip that's tighter.

In honor of my fair-weather friend, Summer, I would like to take you on a brief journey as I reminisce the highlights of summer's 2009 tour.

1. The birth of my niece, Meredith Hope Mendez, on May 21. Yes, according to my definition laid out above, I know she wasn't born in the "three months of summer," but she's too cute and miraculous to not be included. Sue me.



2. My Memorial Day weekend which included an inaugural stay at the Kingland Manor. (If you've been reading my blog this summer, you may be a tad confused thinking I live there...I wish. This has served as my "home away from home.") It was on this trip that I got the privilege of spending time with Ed, Lianna's husband. It was also on this fateful trip I was introduced to beer bread (word to Elisa) and fell in love with star gazing.





3. Serving as the co-inventor of ghetto sangria. It will always remind me of my summer days in k-land, and I consumed many a glass under the sun and stars.



4. Attending "Lakes Get it On" (Lianna's bachelorette bash) which included a whole lot of lake, dance parties, belinis, amazing food and divine company.





5. Finally getting up on the water skis and managing to have a good time while I did it. Determination does pay off every now and again I suppose.



6. Lianna's wedding weekend: trying Indian food (and a chile-infused champagne cocktail) for the 1st time at the rehearsal dinner, going to a cocktail party with the Austin capital for a backdrop, barely making it through an emotional reading during their wedding and getting down at their rockin' reception. It was THE highlight of my summer, without a doubt.





7. Preparing homemade feasts with loved ones and enjoying sublime company while dining alfresco...be it at the lake or on the patio. This summer truly sparked my desire to experiment in the kitchen and to savor long dinners with family. Thank you Elisa and Christina. I hold you responsible.





8. Tie-dying shirts for the very 1st time ever. I'm definitely in need of a tutorial as my first finished product was severely lacking.



9. Playing in the pool with my most favorite 2-year-old in the whole wide world: Princess Pearl (Hay-Hay). I cherish the moments you clung on to me like a koala bear. You are loved beyond measure.



10. Participating in my first cooking competition: Kingsland Cocktail & Salmon Throwdown. While we lost the cocktail round, China and I fought back with a vengeance and ruled the salmon round.



I could go on and on gushing over the qualities that are inherent to my first love, summer. I have not taken one sunny weekend for granted. I have savored drinking my iced coffees, reading outside in the hammock, eating my weight in food hot off the outdoor grill, dining outdoors, taking long walks in the summer breeze, laying on the deck gazing at the stars, sipping frosty glasses of sangria, strolling barefoot in the grass, wearing sundresses and flip-flops, driving with the windows rolled down and taking the time to feel the sun on my face. Suffice it to say, it has been an abundant summer and I have loved every last precious warm moment (well, at least the parts that weren't work).

Should you be interested, my last "summer" weekend was comprised of pool time, may-juh chat time (with my BFF Kori), errand time, cook time (rocked the tequila-lime shrimp tacos for my sis and her fam), nap time, church time, movie time, God time...and various other "times." I'm sure it's all a bit blah, blah, blah, so I hope you enjoyed the switcharoo post.

I know this is a marathon post, but one final (and most important) note is necessary. I leave you with a few verses from Galatians. Although it is short, there is so much that speaks to my heart in just the couple lines. I find it so interesting that scripture lets us know we will be delivered from the evil we currently experience, BUT it is according to the will of God. What does this look like? I'm sure it doesn't always (or ever) look the way we anticipate or even pray for. However, His will is perfect and far superior the ideas and schemes we concoct in our heads and heart. I hope it speaks truth to your heart and refreshes your soul.

Galatians 1: 3-5
Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:
To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

Brooke & Freeland said...

awww makes me wish I lived closer so I could get in on some of that amazing summer time!!! Glad you had such a great summer friend! And only a few more weeks & I get to see you again!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the may-juh wrap-up - it was splendiforis! Half the fun of experiencing wonderful times is their enduring memories and the smiles and warm feelings that return effortlessly to our present moment as we think back on them. Fill your life with precious and grace-filled moments of joy and laughter and kinship, as these are treasures to be enjoyed over and over again for the rest of our lives. I pray the blessing of that scripture over you and my entire family - may God's grace and peace fill you as He works out His perfect will in your life.