Friday, May 1, 2009

an afternoon in wonderland

This past weekend, we celebrated Ashley's 24th birthday with an "Alice in Wonderland" tea party in the garden. You should know I always love a good theme party, especially if I get to dress up in costume. While it's true that "every party has a pooper (i.e. someone who doesn't want to dress up)," I am so not that pooper. However, I was having a difficult time locating appropriate attire for said occasion. I really wanted to be Alice, but I only had one piece of the five that I needed. I bounced around several ideas, only to find myself back at square one. I finally settled on a floral party dress with a few touches to take it up a notch. It was by no means ideal, but you gotta work with what ya got, right? You can view my less than original attire in the pic below.

me with the birthday girl

The party was set in the backyard (which reminded me so much of my old house on Vinemont, by the by), and the weather actually ended up being great for the shindig. There were lots of cute little touches to tie in the theme. The "magical" punch had a "drink me" sign and the cookies were iced "eat me," just like in the movie. The group was mostly people from Watermark, with almost all my community group in attendance (yea!), including the roomie. Here are some pics of both.

the roomster and me

our community group

The spread including tons of food, drinks, and sweets. Later in the day, we grilled out hamburgers, had red velvet cupcakes, and I drank champagne out of a can with a straw...true story. It was like a grown-up version of a juice box. The little straw was attached to the side of the can and everything-crazy, but so fun. I loved it!

Back on the whole costume issue, while most people merely added a hat or flower to their normal outfits, there were a few who took it to another level. The three guys that really took the theme to heart are pictured below. Aren't they a sight for sore eyes?

a trio of awesomeness

All in all, it was such a fun birthday party, and I'm so glad to be in community with Ashley and to have her in my life. I will leave you with one last shot from the day.

the picture of class

No comments: