Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm making the most of it...

So I've been tagged about 10 times in a note on facebook to confess 25 random facts about myself. Now, I do realize this is a bit redundant for my blog since I had a similar post just about a week ago. However, please bear with me because it was a lot of work and took up far too much of my precious time to not be posted on my blog as well. So, like the title suggests, I "making the most of it" and sharing it with all my blogger friends in addition to my facebook peeps!

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

Because you are all just dying to know more about me, here are 25 "Random Rachel Facts" (in no particular order of importance):

1. I was a cheerleader while attending New York University. No, NYU does not have a football team. We cheered for basketball and actually went to NCA Nationals in Daytona Beach, Fl. I can't for the life of me figure out what division we were even in, but it was a free trip to Florida and I had a lot of fun!

2. I taught high school for 2 years at a Catholic private school. I've never been less qualified for a job in my life, and yet, it was the easiest job I've ever gotten (and the highest paid so far...sad). I basically went in for an interview, met a man that taught my parents at Bishop Lynch, and had the job in about 2 hours. I wasn't certified, never taught before, took no education classes in college and had all but sworn off teaching the previous 22 years of my life. Who ever said God doesn't have a sense of humor?



3. I absolutely love to bake, so much so that I attempted to start my own business: "Simply Sweet." It didn't quite take off the way I envisioned, but I have an awesome menu and legit business card designed by my best friend's husband. Thank you so much for all your hard work Jon. Maybe someday Simply Sweet will be able to pay you back!



4. I never got a Barbie Dreamhouse when I was younger, so I constructed my own out of my toy shelf. I even made waterbeds out of ziploc bags that I filled with water...genius if you ask me!

5. Much to my roommate's chagrin, I'm obsessed with the Food Network. I love watching almost anything on that channel. Interestingly enough, however, I rarely follow recipes. I'd much rather just make up something with ingredients that sound good to me. Buying all the items to make a specific recipe just seems like too much work in my opinion.



6. I loathe and despise talking on the phone. I absolutely hate it. I'd much rather speak with a person face-to-face. Therefore, please do not be offended if I don't answer the phone when you call. If it's important, leave a message. If you don't, I probably won't call you back. I apologize in advance for this, but you can't say I didn't warn you.

7. I might be addicted to coffee. I need it to start my day, whether that day is starting at 7 AM or 11 AM is irrelevant. II'm not talking about your pansy, sugary, milky latte drinks you get at Starbucks. I prefer my coffee strong - quick and dirty. In fact, I would prefer to drink espresso if I had a machine to make it. I found the one I want at Williams-Sonoma for the bargain value of $295. Therefore, I've officially decided that I need to get married so I can register for this machine of awesomeness.

8. I relish in getting a good deal and I'm not shy about making this public. I love telling people how cheap my boots were or how my produce costs 1/2 of what theirs does. I'm not embarassed to use coupons at the store, and I also love the fact that I paid cash for my car. This might make me a little quirky, but at least I'm honest. :)

9. Speaking of honesty, it's what I prefer when weighing my options. While you may have a point that the truth hurts, I'd much rather deal with it upfront as opposed to having to infer it down the line. This applies to simple truths as well. Don't sugarcoat it!

10. It's my dream to be on Dancing with the Stars. If you know me, you know I absolutely love to dance. When music is playing, I simply can't sit still...some part of me has to move. I can't think of anything better than dancing with a pro all day long. I would love to learn all the different technical dances, and eventually perform them in front of a live audience. I think it would be amazing.




11. I'm slightly obsessed with my niece, Haylee. Despite the fact that she can be a real stinker and a total mess, she is my world and I can't picture life without her. (I can only imagine what it's like to have a child of your own!)





12. I am absolutely, 100% NOT a morning person. It doesn't matter how much sleep I may have gotten, or how I should be "used" to a particular routine, I simply can't stand waking up in the morning. Never have, never will.

13. Growing up, I desperately wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. I gave it my best try, but ended up quitting competitive gymnastics just as I was about to start Level 8. It would have never worked out. I'm about 8 inches too tall.

14. My 1st job was at Sonic, and I worked there for 6 years. To this day, I still assert that it was the best job I ever had. I got paid minimum wage + tips, didn't have to claim my tips, got physical activity while working and got all the free drinks, shakes and slushes I wanted. Is there anything better than that?

15. I would really like to live in a place where I could wear flip-flops and sundresses every day of the year. I have absolutely no need for the winter, and don't even need to experience it in order to appreciate the summer. It is in my nature.

16. I really want to learn how to surf; however, I don't live near an ocean and I'm not the best swimmer. (Also, I'm somewhat scared of the ocean due to a major shark phobia that I have Jaws to thank for.) Perhaps someday I will be able to tackle this goal.

17. I wore braces for almost 5 years (freshman year in high school - freshman year in college) and had major jaw surgery on both my upper and lower jaws. I actually have microscopic pins holding my lower jaw in place - true story!

18. I was quite the daredevil back in the day and probably almost killed myself on numerous occasions. Whether it was jumping off our roof onto the trampoline, flipping off the trampoline or climing up onto the refridgerator when I was 2 to retrieve some candy out of the candy jar, I was quite adventurous.

19. All my life, I've had a "peter pan complex." I've never wanted to grow up. Most kids want to turn 18 or especially 21, but I've never really wanted to age. I was perfectly content at 17, but for some reason, I had to keep getting older...strange.



20. I had mono when I was 17 and I'm convinced that the virus is still lingering in my body. How else can I explain the fact that I need ridiculous amounts of sleep in order to function effectively? I've never pulled in all-nighter, and the mere thought makes me drowsy.

21. I love to win (and hate to lose). It doesn't matter what context the winning is in, I have to be the winner. Whether it's a "friendly" game of tennis, catch phrase or scrabble, I take it all very seriously and am in it to win it.

22. I look forward to lazy days and I'm completely comfortable with not doing anything at all. Call me slothful if you will, but I just don't care for to-do lists or projects. Those things are for work, and if I'm not at work, I want to chill. On that same note, however, I would not be able to do "nothing" for a consecutive number of days. I would get very bored and have to find some way to occupy my time.

23. I don't really care for driving all that much. In fact, if I had superfluous amounts of money, I would consider hiring someone to drive (or just pay my friends to do so).

24. While living in New York, I was once a nanny (for a very brief period of time) for a family of 3-year old triplets and a 2-years. Talk about an eye-opening experience...yikes!

25. I'm not a fan of indecisveness or fickleness. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. And make sure to make the decision in a timely manner. Thank you.

I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little bit better. Until next time, keep it classy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you love the food network, i'd highly recommend checking out foodnetworkhumor.com for a laugh! enjoy your blog!