Monday, December 15, 2008

It's the little things

"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things." Robert Brault

This quote is on a little plaque (courtesy of Cryssie) in my little apartment. I loved it the moment I saw it a couple weeks ago, but this morning I truly reflected on the words. I tend to find myself harboring resentment, quite a bit I'm afraid, for not having the opportunity to travel to culturally diverse places or not achieving the career aspirations I once held in such high regard. However, sitting here at my computer this morning, I find myself so incredibly grateful for the little things in life. Just last night, I was almost in tears laughing so hard with the roomie (Cryssie) for no reason at all. And just last weekend, I had a total blast with my fousins quoting the same movie lines over, and over, and over...you get the idea. I can remember so many fun times with them just driving around in the car, blasting our music and singing to the top of our lungs. I cherish the times I've had with my sister and Pearl (AKA Haylee) just hanging around the house, watching Dora and dancing to the Backyardigans theme song.

I realize now, so crystal clearly, that it truly doesn't matter if I ever make it to Greece, or become an executive, or attend a black tie affair. What matters are my precious friends and family that I get to spend time with. They are the "little things" that are really the "big things" in life. So to all of you (who are actually reading this), I treasure you as the "big things" in my life. You are SO much more than a vacation destination or a job title. I count you as my greatest blessings!

No comments: