Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: #39

Happy (almost) St. Patty's Day to you! In honor of this most momentous holiday (note the underlying tone of sarcasm), I thought it would be fun to feature a green recipe for today's post.

Now, I have a confession to make. This may put several of you into a downward tailspin, but I feel it must be made public. So please sit down and brace yourself. I.don't.like.recipes. Gah! Did those words just come out of my head and onto the screen. Yes they did my friends. Yes they did.

While recipes and exact measurements are absolutely essential when it comes to the integrity of any baked good, I just don't like following recipes when cooking. I feel they are too cumbersome and require too many vessels for measurements and almost always require too many (and often times, very obscure) ingredients. This is why I like to remember the basics of recipes and just use whatever I have on hand and sort of "freestyle," if you will, when I'm in the kitchen.

In that same vein, today's recipe is really not a recipe at all. It involves fresh, seasonal produce, so why do you need a bunch of supporting actors when all you really need is the star: a glorious bunch of asparagus.

Roasted Asparagus


Ingredients:
1 1b. asparagus, ends trimmed
drizzle of olive oil
sprinkle salt & pepper
small handful of feta or goat cheese, optional

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil.

2. Spread asparagus in a single layer on the sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.

3. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese over the roasted asparagus.

That's it! You simply don't need a recipe to make a great side dish. This is perfect for springtime and is great with grilled salmon, baked chicken or alongside a delicious frittata in your next brunch spread.

Cheers and have a Tasty Tuesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can personally vouch for the yummy-ness of this non-recipe...and, yes, it is the perfect accompaniment to exquisitely prepared grilled salmon...