Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays: the 38th edition

Ahhhh... the sun is shining. The grass is green. The temperatures are nearing that glorious 70-degree mark. Spring has sprung my friends. Now I know there are the nay-sayers out there who would like to bring me back to reality and remind me that we will most likely experience at least one more bit of cold weather, but to them I say (in the words of Barbara Streisand), "don't send another cloud to rain on my parade."

Since the onset of warmer temperatures and longer days inevitably leads to grilling out (at least in my book), I thought it only appropriate to feature a very easy, but very delicious recipe to get you ready for grilling season. Today's recipe highlights not only my favorite fish, but quite possibly my favorite protein: salmon. I think I practically lived on this flavorful fish last summer and while I enjoy it baked in the oven and pan-seared, my preferred preparation method is without a doubt, grilled. What is so nice about salmon is that it's a sturdy enough fish that it can withstand the grill where other types of fish would just flake apart.

The following recipe couldn't be easier. It just involves putting together a simple marinade and then throwing the fish on the grill. It is definitely a nice change from the burgers, hot dogs and chicken usually gracing the grates on your grill, so it just might become your go-to meal for the warmer months.

Maple-Glazed Salmon


Ingredients:
1/4 C balsamic vinegar
2 T dijon mustard
3 T maple syrup
2 T orange juice
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients and stir with a whisk. Pour into a ziploc bag. Add salmon fillets and place in the refrigerator up to three hours.

2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Add salmon (reserving the marinade) and grill approximately four minutes on each side, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

3. Meanwhile, add the marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce sauce for about five minutes.

4. Remove fish from grill and drizzle each piece with the reduced sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I suggest serving this salmon with baked sweet potatoes, roasted asparagus, my SPG salad and beer bread. Oh, and don't forget the chilled white wine. That is my idea of the perfect spring/summer meal.

Happy grilling and have a very Tasty Tuesday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds sooo good! I am definitely looking forward to sharing this one with you on our grill in the very near future - I'll fire it up whenever you're ready (weather permitting, of course...just kidding...)!

Anonymous said...

OK, Rachie prepared this salmon recipe for my very special birthday dinner, and may I say, it was simply mah-velous! I had the biggest piece of fish, and I could have easily enjoyed another - it was sooooo good! Can't wait to do it again...