Tuesday, March 12, 2013

a glimpse into my heart and an invitation


When I was in New York last week for work, I had the privilege of attending a Lent event at the American Bible Society (smack dab in the middle of Columbus Circle). My old roommate, Katherine, invited me and I'm so glad I was able to make it. 

There was nothing fancy or grandiose about the gathering - just a group of about 30 sitting in a small room listening to scripture being read aloud. We went through a good bit of Exodus and then contrasted the Passover lamb (animal) of the Old Testament with the Passover Lamb (Christ) in the New Testament. 

We ended by corporately reciting Psalm 40 and I must say, this is quite possibly the most articulate way (thank you, King David and the Holy Spirit) to convey the state of my heart. This text is so rich that I can hardly begin to break it down. I echo these sentiments with every fiber of my being (and wouldn't you know it that the same text would be referenced at church on Sunday) --- 

The Lord has brought me out of the miry clay and I sing a NEW song of praise to Him.

I have put my trust in Him (despite what things look like) and He has blessed me.

Many are the wonders He has done that I cannot begin to count them.

He doesn't desire ritualistic sacrifices, but wants my heart and longs to be in communion with me.

I want to constantly speak of His faithfulness and the miraculous way that He saved me. Oh, "taste and see that the Lord is good." He is faithful and He is good.

Without further ado, I invite you to read Psalm 40 and I pray that it would be true for you. May the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, who richly supplies us with everything we need, draw you ever close to His sacred heart. May He surround you with mercy and keep you in His perfect peace.

Psalm 40

waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay,
And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
Many will see and fear
And will trust in the Lord.
How blessed is the man who has made the Lord his trust,
And has not turned to the proud, nor to those who lapse into falsehood.
Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders which You have done,
And Your thoughts toward us;
There is none to compare with You.
If I would declare and speak of them,
They would be too numerous to count.
Sacrifice and meal offering You have not desired;
My ears You have opened;
Burnt offering and sin offering You have not required.
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God;
Your Law is within my heart.”
I have proclaimed glad tidings of righteousness in the great congregation;
Behold, I will not restrain my lips,
LordYou know.
10 I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart;
I have spoken of Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth from the great congregation.
11 You, O Lord, will not withhold Your compassion from me;
[g]Your lovingkindness and Your truth will continually preserve me.
12 For evils beyond number have surrounded me;
My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to see;
They are more numerous than the hairs of my head,
And my heart has failed me.
13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;
Make haste, O Lord, to help me.
14 Let those be ashamed and humiliated together
Who seek my life to destroy it;
Let those be turned back and dishonored
Who delight in my hurt.
15 Let those be appalled because of their shame
Who say to me, “Aha, aha!”
16 Let all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;
Let those who love Your salvation say continually,
“The Lord be magnified!”
17 Since I am afflicted and needy,
Let the Lord be mindful of me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
Do not delay, O my God.

2 comments:

elisa said...

beautiful. I praise Jesus for the wonders He has done in your life. I love you, Rachie!

RL said...

Thank you again, E, for your faithful reading and commenting. I know I can always count on you. Miss you and love you.