Tuesday, November 20, 2012

friendsgiving.

Leaping lizards (name that movie) and holy cannoli, I cannot believe Thanksgiving is just two short days away.  I know I say this every year, but this has seriously been the FASTEST year I can ever remember.  Perhaps you disagree, but my mama always said time speeds up with each year that you age, and boy, she was right.  But that's neither here nor there as this post isn't about philosophizing time.  I'll save that for another day.

I don't know about you, but I adore Thanksgiving.  I love everything about it.  I love cooking.  I love eating.  I love being with family and friends.  I love crowding around a dinner table.  I love taking a day to intentionally express gratitude.  I love the Thanksgiving parade.  I love having football on the TV (even though I'm never watching it).  I love all things pumpkin.  Okay, I will stop there but just so you know, I could go on...and on...and on.

Since we love Thanksgiving, Sarah and I hosted "Friendsgiving" at the clubhouse on Sunday and it was just the ticket to kick-off Thanksgiving week.  Per usual, Sarah set a beautiful table and we managed to cram in (almost) the exact amount of places.


I was in charge of the bird and praise the Lord, I didn't muck it up too badly. (Do you like the word muck as much as I do? I hope so. It's very British-sounding.)  Iris and I got to know one another quite well during our time together.  I massaged her with a delicious oil and herb blend and she roasted beautifully. 


We had a full house for the potluck, and I cannot tell you how overjoyed I was to have a kitchen full of people -- hanging out, drinking beer -- it was truly a dream come true.



Once the turkey was carved, we set up the buffet and filled up our plates accordingly (and our stomachs subsequently).  Please take special note of the pickle/olive tray next to the flower display.  That is of extreme sentimental value to me as my Mimi always had the infamous pickle and olive tray at her house during the holidays.  I still remember the exact crystal dish that she used and how I would put the black olives on the ends of my fingers and eat them off one by one.




We sat around the table and communed over the delicious meal.  I busted out some Thanksgiving trivia and also mandated that we had to go around the table to say what we were thankful for.  Hey, house rules -- it's my house (with Sarah, of course), so it's my rules.  I was, of course, so thankful to host the dinner and have a table full of friends breaking bread together.


So there you have it, our first annual Friendsgiving.  Now some reader questions: Did you have any pre-thanksgiving celebrations or are you saving up for the main event?  What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?  What is your least favorite dish?  What is a tradition for your family on Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

elisa said...

Hilarious that you named your bird. Love it. Also, the word much is a good one. This looks like such a beautiful party and you are such a wonderful, thoughtful, generous hostess, so I can only imagine how happy and filled (physically and spiritually) that your guests must have been by the end.

My fave dish at Thanksgiving you ask? Hands down sweet potato souffle. Marshmallows not optional. Second fave: Aunt Alison's carrots but tied with Stuffing (courtesy of my gourmet fousin), fourth favorite (oh yeah, you are getting the full rundown):turkey

But this doesn't count order of dessert loves, right? Dessert gets its' own category but I won't bore you with the details as it would be impossible to find a scale that suits my dessert ratings properly.

Favorite thanksgiving tradish: Going round the old table of course and sharing our thanks. Cheersing after that is also my favorite.

Oh and least fave thanksgiving dish: Cranberry fluff. But I like to know that somewhere in the USA there are Dehans who have remained faithful to cranberry fluff and still serve it at Thanksgiving. So thankful for you, Cheechee!

Rachie said...

E-

Many thanks for the detailed comments. I was smiling from ear to ear (in between fits of laughter), so I can't help but reply.

Yes, I felt like the bird needed a name and she looked like an Iris. What can I say? I have a knack for naming things (people, cars, turkeys...)

As for your fave dishes, I used to abhor stuffing, but since I started making it, I think it might be my favorite side item. I have also developed a strong affinity for the turkey as well.

And you are correct, desserts deserve their own category. I'm only sad you didn't include that in your rundown. I have to go tradish on this answer and stick with some variation of pumpkin pie. I don't like nuts so pecan pie doesn't do it for me and fruit desserts seem to healthy.

My favorite tradition is definitely giving thanks corporately. In close second is taking a nap on the couch with the cowboys game on the TV.

As for your least favorite dish, I have NO clue what cranberry fluff is but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't like it. In terms of mine, it would be a tie between the traditional french's green been casserole and stovetop brand dressing.

Thanks again for playing. SO grateful for you, dear fuzz!