Sunday, April 29, 2012

just the way you look tonight.

As a part of my dad's 60th birthday present, I got him a gift certificate to The Old Warsaw and an invitation for a date with me. The restaurant is of particular significance as he took our family there when I was about 10 or 11. We got all dressed up, had a limo pick us up, ate the fanciest dinner we had ever experienced and cruised around in the limo to end our night. It was the first time I was ever in a limo and definitely the first time I was in a shi-shi restaurant of that caliber. Suffice it to say, we felt like royalty and it is forever such a wonderful memory. While I can't say I hired a limo to serve as our transportation for the date, we still dressed up and treated it like the special occasion that it was.


My dad obliged (without my even asking) and joined me in a celebratory champagne toast to start the evening. He's a man after my own heart and I wouldn't choose another guy to cheers with. (He even obliged the numerous picture requests.)



We perused the menu for quite some time before deciding on appetizers which were a blue cheese and apple salad and a grilled portabella mushroom with goat cheese. After we demolished those, it was time with the customary palate-cleansing sorbet. Yes, that is correct. This is one of the two restaurants I have ever been to in my life that is still rockin' it old-school and serving the sorbet between courses - I love it!



I should note they had live music - a pianist and violinist which were just delightful. We were definitely their most enthusiastic audience members, clapping loudly after each song. As such, they took not just one, but two requests from us. On the initial go-round, I was trying to think of "Just the Way You Look Tonight," but instead botched my request and asked for "You Look Wonderful Tonight." Not to worry, though, because I do happen to really enjoy that Eric Clapton song and I finally got my correct request in later in the evening.

Anyway, after our palates were sufficiently cleased, we were served our entrees of braised pheasant (my choice) and chilean sea bass (his choice). They were both wonderful and we switched plates midway through.


We capped off our indulgent meal with the piece de resistance: chocolate souffle with a rich chocolate sauce. The souffle comes out piping hot and the server pours in the rich, thick chocolate ganache right into the center - holy cow. It is definitely the most memorable item from the meal I enjoyed there some 18 years ago. Sadly, I do not have a picture, but it is probably best this way as you might be tempted to lick the screen otherwise.

It was such a special time with my dad and I cannot thank him enough for being a wonderful date. I look forward to many more father-daughter outings in the future, but perhaps a bit more budget-friendly. How does pizza sound??? I know a great place...

1 comment:

elisa said...

yummmm alert. you look beautiful in these pics, Rachie! And instagram is so rocking it out.