Thursday, April 21, 2011

in memoriam of smith randle.

This past Saturday, a group of Kori and Jon's friends and family participated in a 5K walk to support March of Dimes and to honor the life of sweet Smith Randle.

The walk was held at White Rock Lake and it couldn't have been a more perfect day. The sun was shining. The temperature was perfect and the wind had actually died down to something less than the tornadic levels we've been experiencing on almost a daily basis.

Three of the girls in my community group joined me in supporting the cause. I am overwhelmed at their love and support for friends of mine they had never met. It was such an example of what it means to be a Christ-follower who show compassion even to strangers. If any of you are reading, thank you for showing me Christ through your actions.

Once we made it to the actual race location, there were so many people there, but we found our group right when we walked up. The event was huge and even had Kelly Clarkson as a celebrity sponsor (Go Kelly).


I'll be the first to say this was my kind of "race." We were dancing, taking pictures, chatting with others on the team, all the while raising money that will be put towards preventing pre-term deaths. All along the way were banners and signs detailing the progress March of Dimes has made and all that their funds/research have accomplished. Amidst all the heartbreaking "in memory of" signs, that was so encouraging because it means that there might be one less sign next year.




Oh, and who's that I spy in the white cap? Well that's none other than Kelly Clarkson. We became fast friends and are having dinner next week.


Before we knew it, we were crossing the finish line and cracking up because we (of maybe it was just me) were already sore. All the walking worked up a huge appetite and we devoured a late brunch promptly after our intense race.


I was so happy I got to be a part of Team Smith Randle to honor his brief but purposeful life. Selfishly, I wish we could have enjoyed his life here on this earth, but I know He is safe, free of suffering, in the presence of Jesus Christ who conquered death so that we might live.

No comments: