Tuesday, January 14, 2014

live and love with intention while walking in the freedom of self-forgetfulness.

Check out that post title. How's that for a mouthful? While it might not exactly roll off the tongue, I think summing up my goal/prayer for the new year in one sentence is no easy feat. However, if it was actually achieved, it would easily spill over into every area of my life that needed improvement, thus solving everything and making me a perfect person -- ha ha. Sadly, that will never even come close to happening this side of heaven, BUT, it won't stop me from lifting up this prayer and intention throughout 2014.

As I was reflecting on 2013 and looking ahead to the new year, I kept coming back to 3 themes:

1. Love well.
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 
1 Peter 4:8

2. Live with intention.
Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 
1 Corinthians 10:31

3. Forget yo-self. (okay, maybe the Lord didn't put it in those exact terms)
True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less. C.S. Lewis

Whew...easier said then done, right?!? Obviously, no change can be made apart from or outside of the power of the Holy Spirit. I cannot love well apart from Christ. I cannot surrender my life and live intentionally apart from Him. And I definitely cannot will my mind to think of myself less. As a human, it is inherent that I will naturally think of myself, my comfort, my failings, my time, my appearance, my successes, my, my, my...BUT, what freedom there would be if I submitted to the Lord and gained even a centimeter of ground in this area. It would be glorious, and so...I shall pray. 

And now, to lighten things up a bit, here is a quick look at my new years in pictures:





A big group went to dinner and then hit up a rooftop dance party. It was surprisingly very enjoyable and one of the best new years I can recall. I chalk that up to being completely indifferent, doing no planning at all, and having ZERO expectations. Apparently, that equals success.

And here is a pic from our new years day brunch that I have to share because I love everything about the candidness (of the top photo) AND because I love the lighting and the tree in the background:


No comments: