Thursday, December 2, 2010

the most wonderful time of the year.

I know I have some catching up to do (the mom's birthday, margarita ball, Thanksgiving, etc.) and I have a lot of things brewing on my mind that I want to post (in terms of quotes, scriptures, articles and the like), but that will have to wait for now. Here is an unabashedly fluffy post detailing a few of my favorite things related to Christmas and the overall holiday season that begins in November and lasts through the new year.

1. Watching Christmas movies. I have so many favorites: Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, The Santa Clause, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Family Man, Fred Claus, The Holiday, The Grinch (cartoon version), Christmas Vacation, Meet Me in St. Louis (though I suppose not technically Christmas, but it makes me think of it)...the list is never ending.


2. Making Christmas cookies. It's just not Christmas until we've rolled out the sugar cookie dough, cut out the shapes and made our best attempt at decorating our delicious creations. I have to do this every year. Clearly, I love all the goodies, backing, cooking, etc. that come with this time of year, but the best part is sharing it with those you love.


3. Looking at Christmas lights. I have done this every single year without fail for as long as I can remember. There's nothing like piling in the car, fighting the log-jammed streets and looking at some highly ostentatious displays.


4. Christmas cups at Starbucks. It's a small change, but it automatically fills me with Christmas cheer as soon as they switch over their cups to the bright red color.


5. Christmas carols! Who doesn't get excited when they switch over the radio stations to all Christmas, all the time? I find myself singing along at the top of my lungs. I want to bring back caroling as a legitimate activity, who's with me?



Obviously, I am just touching the tip of the iceberg of all the trappings that come along with this festive time of year. Of course, without a doubt, I love preparing for the day we celebrate the incarnation of God here on this earth in the form a baby, born of a virgin. This baby truly changed everything. It deserves all the celebration in the world and demands we embrace every moment of this season with exuberant joy.

No comments: